Friday, August 24, 2007

The Challenge for the Better World!




July 20, 2007:: The journey begins as 20 girl scouts and 6 adult leaders from different councils all over the Philippines come together as one to be the delegates for the International Challenge Camp 2007 in Mt. Deougyu campsite and Muju Resort.

Before going to South Korea, the Girl Scouts of the Philippines had to "be prepared!". The Philippine delegation comprised of 6 girls accompanied with 1 adult leader from Cebu Council, 1 girl scout from Negros Occidental Council, 1 cadet scout from Mandaluyong Council, 5 girls from Davao Council, 1 girl scout and 1 troop leader from Camarines Sur, 6 girls from Palawan Council accompanied by their 2 adult leaders, 1 adult leader from Pampanga Council, and a representative from the National Headquarters to be our delegation head.

Fortunately, by God's greatness, I, Maia Lucille C. Pacubas, was one of the delegates from Cebu Council together with Tita Jo Ann Jayme, Katrina Castillo, Silver Lisondra, Faith Borden, Julieanne Langcaon and Bless Villaflor to join and be part in this international event! :) The girl scout from Negros Occidental Council, Janelle was also a participant in the NSCC '07 in Baguio like me. We were grateful and happy to see each other acquainted again in Girl Scouting but this time we're actually going to Korea!

The camp carried on a theme for all the girl scouts to ponder on which says"A Challenge for the Better World". Its main objective was to forge friendships and to establish connections to other girl scouts of the world.

My experience there was really awesome and unforgettable! To have the opportunity to participate and share the true Spirit of Girl Scouting to the world, I'm sure my fellow delegates would agree with me that it was an experience full of adventure, fun and excitement we would never change any bit of moment we have with it. It opened the doors for improvement, for cooperation and for the chance to get to know other scouts and the way we similarly live it the Girl Scout way!
We went there with open minds and hearts to share with them the charming smiles and inspiring morals and values a true Filipina naturally possess.

If you want to read more about our camp, here's my camp report to the NHQ about the programme and itinerary we followed during our stay in South Korea. :) I hope you could learn more and be inspired to reach out to others and be one in leading the change. So, read on!

July 22, 2007
• Arrival in South Korea and our stay in the Girl Scouts of Korea National Headquarters

We arrived in Incheon, South Korea airport at around 5 o’clock in the afternoon. The Girl Scouts of Korea provided us with a bus for our transportation to Seoul, Korea where we will stay for the night.
In their National Headquarters, we were accommodated very well and they even bought us to a restaurant for our dinner.

July 23, 2007


• Trip to the venue of the camp and the Opening Ceremony of the International Challenge Camp 2007

Early in the morning, we had to wake up and prepare our things to go to the venue of the camp that is in Muju Resort and Mt. Deogyu campsite. Three to four hours travel was not so bad since we enjoyed observing the beautiful sites and views we saw along the way.
We finally arrived in Muju where we saw several delegates from other countries also arriving and showing the spirit of Scouting with their uniforms and their bags. It was a good start!
First night of the camp was a real WOW! The main arena was huge and well-prepared. It had the atmosphere of welcoming all the participants from different places of the world.
The opening ceremony was an awesome and grand celebration. We saw many Korean stars that showed their superb talents. I had my hopes up for the successs of the whole camp and I was looking forward for the exciting activities in store for us. It ended with a magnificent display of Fireworks.

July 24, 2007

• First course activities: Global Village and Exploring Korean Culture
• Troop Friendship Night

We had our first course activity at the parking lot. We toured around the English and Global Village. We had the chance to participate in the stations “Walk-holic” and Chinese Culture.
In the afternoon, we had great fun in the Main Arena exploring Korean Culture. We experienced the mask dance; wearing Korean Costumes and playing their folk games.
Our Troop Friendship Night was lead by Miss Dakkeh or shall I say “Mommy Dakkeh” of the sub-camp Yes! Seoul. She was one of the leaders of the sub-camp where we belong to and she taught us a Korean song about a pretty friend. It was weird but really entertaining! I met many Korean girls of our age and shared smiles and friendship with them. Despite the language barrier, I really tried my best to let them understand what I’m saying and it was relieving to know that in one way or another, they understand us.

July 25, 2007


• Extreme sports, Rafting and Swimming at Geum River
• International Night

Our course activity was extreme sports, survival game, All-terrain vehicle, 99-second game and Try-run(3-wheeled bike). In this activity, the Philippine delegates had real teamwork and fun once more! I really enjoyed every activity we have participated.
In the afternoon, we experienced real adventure in Rafting and Swimming at the Geum River. It was really funny and exciting feeling the heat of the sun. Good thing our guide knows a little English that we can understand him but he just made us giggle most of the time with the way he speaks.
The most awaited part of the camp was the International Night. We, the Philippine delegates got ready with our costumes and our free-spirits as we prepare for our presentation. Many Koreans and other scouts like Japan liked our costume and gave us compliments on how beautiful we look. It was really flattering and wonderful to hear it from them.
We also saw other country’s dances and were really fascinated by the presentations showed.

July 26, 2007

• Tour in Bandi Land (Planetarium and Insect Museum)
• Adventurous rides at the Muju Resort

The last day of camp activities was a really memorable experience. We had genuine time and bonding with our Korean friends whom we met in the sub-camp during the Troop Friendship Night. I taught them Filipino games and they also taught us Korean games.
We went to Bandi Land where we strolled around the Planetarium and Insect Museum. In the afternoon, still with our Korean friends, we tried the adventurous rides in Muju Resort. It was really cool! We rode ‘viking’ and the other one was a long, splashy and fun slide. (I forgot the name of the ride.☺)
The saddest part of the camp was to utter the word “goodbye”. It was really nice to have met other nationalities like Nemasha during the Troop Friendship Night and Mella of Malaysia during the International Night. And yet, we have to end the camp with a superb closing ceremony and breathtaking display of fireworks to continue and strengthen the spirits of scouts and face the challenge for a better world.

July 27, 2007

• Leaving Mt. Deogyu and Muju Resort
• Meeting our Foster Family, the Sohn family.

Our bags finally packed up and ready to depart. Although it was against our will but we really had to leave. I admit, I was missing home but I also can’t deny that this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience to Korea to meet friends, to touch other’s lives and learn from them.

We had to go to Seoul, Korea where we will be meeting our foster family. About 2 o’clock in the afternoon, we arrived in Shin’e Elementary School where we will be fetched by our parents. I was excited and at the same time nervous that I felt the butterflies in my stomach while waiting for them.
I met my foster mother, An Juhn Song. She brought with her one of my foster sisters, Sohn min Kyoung. Katrina(my buddy) and I then went immediately to their house where they offered us to take a shower. I was thankful for that but it doesn’t stop there.
I met Sohn Bo-kyoung, the eldest daughter. She was my age and she was really tall and smiling. But she had to go to her academy and study, so min Kyoung, 13 years old accompanied us to Christine’s house(her friend in the next building) where Dana and Jacque, GSP from Palawan, were also staying.
I was glad to see Dana and Jacque took a shower, too. We had great time asking questions about themselves and they also asked us about ourselves and the Philippines. We shared laughter and fun during that day! :D
The sun went down and we went back home to eat dinner. I learned that my foster Father is an English Professor and we have a little brother, Sohn yohn jhu. We had a very good dinner and I was really full!
Min kyoung(clara) and Alice, her bestfriend, brought us to Yong Nan street where they said we will go shopping! It was like heaven to our ears that we really went for it.


July 28, 2007
I woke up at around 6 in the morning and took a bath. They said we would go somewhere and that we had to prepare by 9 A.M.
We ate a very good breakfast! I ate lettuce with mint leaf, beef and rice which tasted really GOOD! It was really delicious!!
We went to Shin’e Elementary School and waited for other Philippine delegates to come. Grace and Angelique were also there and so we waited for the others. I found out that we were going to a tour around Seoul, Korea!! And it was really nice!!! The sites were awesome, wonderful and amazing!!
We went to Namsan Tower, Chan gae chan river and to a market place where things were really nice, cheap and affordable!!! We went shopping there and we even called it 'paradise' but we had limited time that’s why I haven’t bought enough for my loved ones.
In the evening, Bo-Kyoung(elder sister in the family, age 16) arrived early and played with us! We really had fun playing the Name Game(playing cards)!! It was a relief that they understood the instructions I was trying to say and I thought from that moment I would have “nosebleed”..:D
But it had to be cut short, Father didn’t want us to get tired for our travel the next day and we should pack our bags for tomorrow’s saddest departure.

July 29, 2007
Early in the morning, we woke up and took a shower. Then, I saw Sohn Yuhn Jhu, youngest son in the family, from his teakwondo camp and he was a really cute and adorable boy.
We had another delicious breakfast!!! And again I was really full! Father said we would have tea later and so we agreed.
Tea time was exciting but a little serious. Father started to talk about the Philippines and its helpful army forces. I was also agreeing and adding a little information of what I surely know of my country and it was being hospitable and very kind.
They thanked us for staying with them and gave us a Korean flag as their remembrance. In return of their kindness and goodwill, Katrina and I gave them something from the Philippines. I gave them a jewelry box and Kat gave them a frame of the Bahay kubo.
I almost cried but saved it for later. Min kyoung and Alice took us to their church and there we observed how their religion goes. They were Protestants and we were Catholics but it was okay. They had a two-hour mass which was all about the bible and a homily from a priest. After the mass, they gave us a warm applause and acknowledged our presence. They even accompanied us to a gathering upstairs to eat lunch.
It was now time, afternoon came and we really had to leave. I was really sad but cherished every last moment with them. We thanked them and gave them a letter saying that we will always remember them in our hearts.
We hurriedly went to Shin’e Elementary School where Mother was worried that we might be late.
Once again, I saw my fellow Filipina scouts bidding goodbye to their families and getting in the bus. I had to do it, too. We placed our bags in the bus and said our goodbyes. And I cried! I hardly cry but it really touched my heart to say goodbye to them. Omma, Mother also cried and wiped our tears as we said goodbye. I gave Min Kyoung and Bo-Kyoung a hug and said goodbye and take care to them. It was a sweet but sad moment. I waved my hand like everyone did and cried. I saw them cry, too and it was really sad to leave.
I felt very thankful I met them and that I came to Korea.

II. Learnings

I learned that generally, girl scouts around the world are all for one mission and vision. I didn’t feel any competition during the camp. It was all for one, whether you are of different colors of skin and you have different shapes of the faces, we all share the same feeling of love and friendship.
We learned many Korean games that I could not remember their names! It was all in my mind how these games were played and it was fun because I feel like I’m a kid again.
This is the lyrics taught to us by Miss Dakkeh:
“Yeppun chin guh wo na ne, trala la la la
Ku chin gunun irake, trala la la la la
Bo du tarache, trala la la la
Ku da umon noh yeah tareda!!

I don’t know what everything means in this song and what the correct spelling is but it had a really fun tune and melody that made me sway and memorize the song fondly.

III. Teamwork
Though we had a number of flaws and moods during the camp, we surely did our best to behave and be good at all times. During the activities and games, we really participated and we had genuine fun!
It was a good thing we adapted the buddy system during the trip because there is no chance that we will experience a lonely moment.
We all did our best and listened to our titas. We had fun but we always have our limitations. We even presented our dance fascinatingly! Most of the campers clapped their hands and cheered for us! It was really nice and flattering!
It was all about the time management and we had to adjust so that we won’t be a cause of delay and I think it was sort of okay. We did our best and placed all our efforts into sincere actions.
Generally, we had great fun, amazing teamwork and real friendship. We all had the Filipina spirit of being friendly, smiling, caring, thoughtful, and courteous.
We were a wonderful team after all! Go GSP!

No comments: