Saturday, March 01, 2008

Boys and the bathroom..

-Ma. Precious Eugene M. Sembrero-
Leyte Council



Girl Scout? What a bore! Yes, as obvious as it seems wearing that green, heater uniform is really is senseless. But the question, have you ever tried joining the organization? Have you ever attended Girl Scout encampments? Or have you ever learned something from it?
Many thrilling and out of ordinary things happen in Girl scouting that you wouldn’t encounter outside that organization. Things that is absolutely hard to forget. Especially those things that make your heart to arouse into something you wouldn’t do in your whole life.
So, let me give you a glimpse of what is happening during encampment. The basis of my stories is the Regional Encampment we attended last October 20-26, 2007 at Marina Yulo-Vargas Regional Program and Training Center,Lahug Cebu.

The Stalker

Some might think that Girl Scouts is very dull, that they don’t have any crushes or anything. Think twice, these girls are also creatures whose hearts are soften whenever they encounter opposite species.
We traveled by boat to Cebu. While on the boat we girls don’t have anything to do, so we roamed around. During our excursion we saw guys, good-looking ones to be more specific. We called one “Kuya Brown” because he was wearing a brown t-shirt. There was also “Kuya Blue”, which is a cousin of one of the camper from Cazzandhra.
My other companions wanted to take a picture of those two; in that case they tried hard not to let the guy notice that they were taking stolen shots. We have only picture of “Kuya Brown” who was reading a book, because we didn’t seen “kuya Blue” again.
We checked all the decks just to look for that guy, but we failed. We were like stalkers who had lost their target. We’ve only seen him again when we we’re getting near the harbor.
Another was when we we’re in Camp Marina already. Ate Angie experienced nosebleed, so she was sent to the infirmary. She told us that there were “CUTE” guy nurses. Everyone went excited just to know the news and this was the reason why almost all of us want to have nose bleed and be sent to the infirmary.
A guy at the canteen also caught the daring eyes of the Girl Scouts again. Din- din, the one who first saw this guy, told us about him. Some of us went hysterical again. Sometimes they stalk him, pretending to buy something at the store.


Long Distance Friends


Scouting has contributed a lot to my number of friends. I’m not bragging but having friends from different far-flung places is such an honor.
I thought they will not recognize me but then they were the first one who greeted me. We were really happy to see again each other. Whenever I see them we talked about the last encampment we attended. It was fun remembering such experiences.
I like it a lot whenever someone knows me. But always remember that even if they don’t know you, it doesn’t matter, as long as you know them. It is great to have friends, so treasure them.



Shower Girls and the Boys in the Bathroom

No, no, no, don’t take it the way it is. I’m just talking about the difficulty and at the same time the entertainment we face in taking a bath.
As early as two o’clock we need to wake up in order not to meet the “rush hour” in using the bathrooms. We were still lazy to take a bath but it is much better than not being able to take a bath because there were many users. The lines snaked so long, so far, that it was enough to go around from Leyte to Samar. Okay, I am just exaggerating, but can you picture all of us, lining up, holding our soap, towels, etc.. and then the sun is peeking out already from the sky telling us that another activity is going to happen that day?
All girls should line up before going to the place we were longing, the bathroom. While waiting in vain we find things to do to overlap our boredom. Well, I think the well-known topic was always about “boys”. Sometimes I get tired of talking about guys. I just don’t know with them that it sounds very, very interesting. Anyway, as long as it adds color to the activity of the day which is “waiting”, it would be fine.
When it was the turn of the two girls in front of me, I can hear them talking about their crushes from their school inside the bathroom. It gave me the idea that girls can’t really live without boys.

You Go Girl!


A Girl scout just don’t mope around whenever she feels nothing to do or whenever she doesn’t have any costume when they need to perform.
Just like when it was Extravaganza (an activity wherein each council performs something to represent their council) Guinevere, Din-din and me, don’t have any costumes. Actually we were supposed to be the drummers of our performance. Unfortunately, there was already a tape for the presentation. Instead of just sitting, cry our self out, and to be influenced by our not-so-good mood, we challenged ourselves to unsettle all our tents used by LNHS Girl Scouts in just an hour or at least one and a half hour. It was an accomplishment. “I think we will win if there was a contest for the fastest to unsettle tents”, I thought with a laugh.
See, how girls really rocks? It is not a good idea to stay idle whenever problems, sorrows, hardships and challenges come to your way. Self – empowerment is one of the values Girl Scouts taught me.

My Future Job: Porter


I don’t think so being a porter is such a low class kind of occupation. Honestly, for me it is a noble job (Really.). Helping to carry the bag of people is one of the kindest things to do. Although, in the end you need to pay them, it is still worth it because they have done something for you.
This last encampment, after the closing program, we practiced being a porter. We helped carry the heavy baggage they have. Sometimes it is even bigger than the person who owns it.
You know what, I don’t know but everytime I helped a person I feel more delighted than the person I helped. I really don’t know why. Everytime I see them smile because I’ve helped them, I don’t feel exhausted. I don’t even mind how big or how heavy their bag is and everytime they say the phrase “Thank You”, oh my, I felt that everything that I’ve done was right, an accomplishment, and I think that I’ve made a knew friend. It was even much more worthy than repaying you by means of money. It was really different in a way that it touched not only my heart but also my soul.
Being a Girl Scout is never easy. But then after all those tiring challenges it gives you an opportunity to become a better person.
The memories and values you have earned every encampment is unbreakable. It can never be taken away from you because once a girl scout always a girl scout.
Try joining Girl Scout and be active even in an encampment or not. It might be senseless wearing the Girl Scout uniform because it is makes you sweat, feel tired, or whatsoever. Nevertheless deep inside that uniform is a girl who had become a better person because of that “green- heater” uniform.
When we left camp, I was hoping to see Kuya Brown and Kuya Blue again….

No comments: